google-site-verification: google617314e106a28fde.html

Monday, February 23, 2009

My Glamorous Life: A Few Tidbits from This Morning

8:30 Staring into my closet, I consider that I would like to be more like my children in some ways, but growing out of my clothes each season isn't one of them.

9:00 Although doing housework, again, today, like every other day, sounds mind-numbingly boring, I start on some laundry and pick up some clutter, while mentally composing bloggish bits bemoaning my lack of housekeeping skill. I think that if I were up for an annual review for my job, I probably wouldn't be getting a raise this year.

9:30 Ellen perfects the art of opening the fridge, setting the tone for the rest of the morning. Since I now need to stay close to the kitchen anyway, I abandon the housework and submit to Adam's wish -- helping him put together a set of puzzles over and over and reading Pierre three times. The 4th time, he "reads" it to me.

10:00 Narrowly averted through my vigilance thus far: freezer jam all over the carpet; yogurt all over the carpet.

10:45 I take the tilapia out of the freezer to thaw and look and look and look in both freezers because I know that last time I cooked brown rice I brilliantly made a double batch and froze the extra. Finally find it in the fridge, smelly and slimy. Hey, at least I didn't put it in the pantry.

11:30 Downstairs in the laundry room, hearing Zuzu upstairs wail and repeat incessantly, "I wanna do something fuuun! I WANNA DO SOMETHING FUUUUUUUUN." I can relate to the sentiment.

12:00 I ask Zuzu to bring her book from school to read to me and without missing a beat she launches into her trademark wail, the one that is tuned to the exact resonant frequency of my last nerve.

12:45 Adam & Zuzu accidentally lock themselves out. They're banging on the door and ringing the doorbell and I'm considering how long to wait before letting them back in.

1:30 Adam & Ellen are both asleep and Zuzu is playing at a friend's house. I waste this precious, precious bit of free time composing this post. I decide to only give a cursory mention to cleaning up the spilled bowls of cereal and picking the whole box of tiny beads that Ellen dumped out of the carpet, because, well, speaking of mind-numbingly boring . . .

Note: Generally, I hope to Ac- cent- tchu- ate the Positive in what I choose to post here. Listening to me whine and complain is, after all, Peter's job, not yours. Let's chalk this one up to "keeping it real." And speaking of the positive, Zuzu just handed me this:


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll confess that generally I enjoy mommy-blog-whines -- makes me feel in good company.

Speaking of whining, it's a little depressing to me that just getting Henry and Rose fed their lunch and down for their naps was a huge workout for me today. My 2nd huge workout was showering, and I haven't managed to dry my hair yet. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's only a few days more to my duedate.

I wonder if this imposed sedentary-ness will give me a renewed appreciation for the ability to do housework. (Even if it does, I doubt it will last very long.)

Oh, by the way, I've encountered several blogs now that are using the comment form you were using before, and I can't post comments on those ones, either. So it wasn't just you, it's that particular commenting format.

Pilcrow said...

Slices of life are great. Thanks. There are beautiful pictures of your children up at my photo blog,
spencerhallphotography.com

MelanieJ said...

freezer jam AND yogurt? man, girl, you got it goin' on! Can I come to your house and we'll pretend we don't have any housework to do? Thanks for keeping it real

Stephen said...

After reading your whole post, then looking at Zuzu's note, I felt like I had just come home from Sacrament Meeting.
Wonderful post. Thanks

J and M Lloyd, est. 2004 said...

I just laughed out loud. Thanks for making me smile at the end of a long day of work. I'm hoping for some days like yours in the future.

Stace said...

More posts like this! I am feeling like I can not get my house cleaned no matter how hard I try today. My kids are dumping play dough all over the table right now and they should be in bed and I should not be on my computer.

Anonymous said...

I'll read Pierre to Adam any day. Love that.